The MSL manager will lead and manage the UK/Ire team of MSLs and also be responsible for the delivery of MSL / medical affairs projects and activities within his/her own territory.
This is a field-based non-promotional role, reporting to the UK/Ire Medical Director. The MSL Manager will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of MSL activities, aligned to the country medical strategy and delivered in accordance with individual team member’s goals and objectives. The MSL Manager will manage, coach and develop the team of MSLs to ensure high quality scientific exchange and collaboration with opinion leaders and key customers.
The MSL manager will ensure close collaboration with all cross-functional partners and that all activities are executed in accordance with regulatory and legal frameworks including but not limited to GCP, IFPMA and local regulations as well as Jazz Pharmaceuticals Policies and Healthcare compliance procedures.
Leadership of the MSL team
- Lead, develop and build a high performing MSL team
- Manage, coach and develop direct reports
- Set SMART objectives and track, measure and report progress of MSL plans and budgets
- Ensure systems, processes and ways of working are in place to facilitate:
- Expert scientific knowledge of all MSL team members
- Effective on boarding and training of new team members
- Development of collaborative medical affairs projects/partnerships with opinion leaders e.g. data generation activities including Investigator Sponsored Trials and scientific publications
- Effective Key Account Planning with cross functional partners
- Effective development, planning and utilization of Opinion Leaders
- Appropriate positioning of Jazz Pharmaceutical medicines in medical guidelines
- High standards with regards to pharmacovigilance reporting, compliance and SOPs
- Delivery of medical information to internal and external customers on request and in a timely manner
- Role model and exemplify Jazz Cultural values
Delivery of Medical Affairs projects
- Develop influential relationships with Opinion Leaders in his/her own territory
- Development of collaborative medical affairs projects/partnerships with opinion leaders in his/her own territory e.g. data generation activities including Investigator Sponsored Trials and scientific publications
- Provide insights and input into the development of the Country Medical Affairs Plan
- Attend appropriate scientific congresses to stay abreast of developments and to maintain expert knowledge
- Provision of Medical Information and responses to unsolicited scientific requests in his/her own territory
- Facilitating the exchange of unbiased scientific information between the medical community and the company through best in class medical education
- MSL performance reviews / objectives setting
- Double field visits with MSL team members
- Monthly report covering performance (time spent on different activities), key insights, key issues, key projects and activities.
- Reports generated following specific activities, such as advisory boards, round tables, conference attendance etc.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Pharmaceutical industry experience in a comparable role, ideally with experience of managing MSL teams a distinct advantage
- Experience in Haematology/Oncology and/or rare diseases
- Strong leadership skills with demonstrable ability to influence at all levels of the organisation as well as with external customers
- Strong inter-personal relationship building skills/collaboration and teamwork
- Experience of launching new products and medical affairs launch readiness activities
- Ability to critically analyse complex data
- Excellent communication skills, including strong presentation skills
- Excellent planning and organisation skills
- Ability to produce timely business management reports, budget tracking and audit data
- Willingness to travel frequently
- Excellent command of spoken English
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
- Strong preference for a Medical (MD) or scientific degree with higher qualifications e.g. MSc, PhD, Pharmacist (PharmD) etc.
- Candidate must have a valid driver’s license
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an Equal Opportunity Employer.