Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an international biopharmaceutical company focused on improving patients’ lives by identifying, developing, and commercializing meaningful products that address unmet medical needs.
The head of Other EU and Partner markets is a senior leadership role which encompasses 3 major components and reports directly to the Head of EUROW. Firstly, the leadership of a cluster of “Smaller Infrastructure Markets” [currently Netherlands, Switzerland and Poland – although this cluster will change as the business evolves] as a direct operational General Manager, secondly, the leadership of our partner markets, and thirdly as a senior leader of the EUROW organization through active membership of the EMT (EUROW Management Team). These aspects will be covered below in turn:
Jazz Country General Managers are responsible for overseeing and managing Jazz’s operations within a particular country. The Country General Manager will lead a dynamic cross-functional team to realize the potential of the evolving Jazz portfolio in the country by developing and implementing a comprehensive strategy to position Jazz as a leading and valuable partner. Through effective engagement with internal and external stakeholders, this role ensures that we build an enduring and dynamic biopharmaceutical company which commercializes products to meet unmet patient needs in focused areas. This leader sets the tone and role-model to ensure that everything we do is focused on three things: putting patients first, being a great place to work, and living our shared values.
Partner Market Leadership
Responsible for developing a clearly defined strategy in a manner that would help deliver on or “Asset Maximisation Strategy” across the globe. The position is responsible for identifying and prioritizing market opportunities and directing the partner market team leader. The individual will have a clear focus on compliance (promotional, operational and FCPA/UKBA) throughout the partner markets ensuring that whilst achieving our commercial goals, both our partner market team and our partners operative in manner that is consistent with Jazz policies and local compliance rules, thereby managing the risk across the operations.
EUROW Management Team Member (EMT)
Responsible, along with other EMT members, to manage the European and RoW business. The role requires thinking cross functionally and troubleshooting to help ensure cohesive, effective and efficient commercialization across the region, whilst ensuring risks are managed and that all operations are run consistently with Jazz’s and the relevant national/regional codes and regulations.
Essential Functions, Competencies and skills
Effective leadership in a responsible and compliant manner
- Manage key customer relationships and actively develop new business opportunities
- Manage the day to day operations with various functional managers to ensure the operation is running efficiently
- Coordinate with other internal departments to ensure efficient and effective operational and governance processes are in place for all functions operating in the country
- Direct country-specific activities that feed into regional and corporate planning processes, including annual budget plans, work force planning and similar processes.
- Provide leadership and team direction in the areas of: talent management, talent acquisition, succession planning, labour relations, and employment law.
- Lead the development of cross functional collaboration among key internal stakeholders. Provide leadership of all G&A operational, commercial, medical, quality Supply and R&D teams (PV, Regulatory and Development).
- Responsible for an established compliance culture for the country and ensuring that all business activities are in line with company policies, procedures, local guidelines and legislation. Actively engages with in-country teams to train, assess, monitor and ensure positive responsible communication.
- Demonstrate, foster and re-enforce the Jazz Pharmaceuticals’ culture and Values. Work towards making JAZZ a great place to work
- Effective decision making process: demonstrate a successful decision making acumen in difficult situations
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as directed by company management.
Ability to drive Jazz’s strategic plan and define the operational plan
- Responsible to work with various business functions based in-country to establish country-specific strategies for future growth of company business.
- Develop annual business plans for country and monitor through quarterly reviews
- Recruit, hire, develop and retain talented people to deliver on the country’s strategic plan.
- Design, structure and train field-based employee teams (commercial, medical and reimbursement)
- Coordinate Jazz’s approach to our customers within the geography, aligning resources and operational teams with a key account management approach
- With the regional medical director define the medical affairs plan and ensure compliant execution in line with Jazz’s global philosophy - Support an aligned medical affairs approach which synergises globally, within the EUROW region and across the geography.
- Develop and own a KOL engagement plan, coordinating efforts among functions to improve medical education and the scientific knowledge associated with Jazz’s portfolio.
- Ensure that all KOL engagement activities, from commercial field visits to medical education programs, are aligned with corporate strategies and executed in a compliant manner
P&L management and accountability
- Meet financial targets P&L for the company and to ensure company value growth
- Develop and gain approval for the country budget for the coming year
- Track and manage OPEX budget by cost centre and GL code in line with the approved budget
- Track, explain and manage variances versus plan
- Develop and deliver on the company’s strategic plan in the most effective and compliant manner
P&R pathways expertise
- Develop the long term plan and implement innovative programs that lead to optimal pricing, access, and reimbursement for Jazz Pharmaceuticals products
- Foster and maintain relationships with key national payers and pharmaceutical industry groups
- Vigilantly monitor the competitive landscape and business models, proactively adapting to emerging trends in the reimbursement and drug pricing landscape in the Country, quantify risks/opportunities and make recommendations for action
- Work collaboratively and effectively across an internal matrix (including working closely with the EU/RoW Market Access and Health Economics Team) and with a network of expert consultants at the national level.
- Ensure that all Country activities comply with regulatory agencies, public policies/guidelines, and with corporate policies and procedures.
Operate in a matrix management
- Foster an environment of strong collaboration across the local, regional and global organizations.
- Develops focused, aligned and integrated cross-functional business plans and contingencies aligned with the Global Strategy
- Establish short, medium and long term objectives, and sets adequate operating plans for all key functions (P&R, Market Access, marketing, medical and sales, finance, customer service and supply).
- Ability to drive multiple work streams within different therapeutic areas, working with direct reports and shared services departments
Strategic Alliance Management
- Managing our partner market relationships in a strategic manner – defining the profile of an effective partner, continuing to streamline the partner market footprint (number of partners), and assessing direct vs indirect routes for key European markets.
- Championing global expansion of our key brands - defining a geographical footprint expansion plan in partnership with the GMT/L and our partners.
- Track record of successfully leading commercialization in Specialty (hospital) medicine. Experience of Rare and Orphan diseases preferred
- Significant track record of implementing Key Account Management as a cross functional approach (Medical, Marketing and Sales) in important accounts
- Proven ability to navigate Pricing and Reimbursement mechanisms and stakeholders across different geographies
- Experience of managing at the “Above country” level
- Proven alliance management experience
- Possess a willingness and ability to work hands-on and with a sense of urgency, in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience at building and developing teams and individuals
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively present to, negotiate and engage with a wide range of audiences
- Fluency in English – broad language fluency is an advantage, but not essential
- BA/BS degree required; MBA or post graduate degree preferred
Description of Physical Demands
- Responsibilities may require working outside of “normal” hours, in order to meet business demands.
- Significant travel will accompany the role
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an Equal Opportunity Employer.